Saskatoon Retriever Club
About Our Club
In the early days of the late 1940’s the dog enthusiasts around Saskatoon started a sporting dog club, with Springers, Setters, Cockers and Labradors, all working together to train for hunting conditions. Later they separated into their own clubs to accommodate the style of training that was required for their breed.
The Saskatoon Retriever Club was conceived! The membership consisted of Pat Randall, Martin West, Pitt Graham, Phil Ellison and Frank Sommers. They organized and held an unlicensed picnic trial in 1950, held an unsanctioned trial in 1951 and the first recognized trial in 1952. The Club has held a Recognized Field Trial every year since that date. The first National Open Stake for Retrievers and Irish Water Spaniels held in Saskatchewan was organized by the Club in 1962, as well as a National Open Stake in 1973 and 1985, with a National Amateur Open in 1993 and 2001.